Posted Tuesday January 25th, 2011, 8:00 am by Dr Monica Seeley
Welcome to Day 2 of the email diet plan. My thanks to everyone who is sharing and joining in – it’s great to see so many people keen to start fighting email overload.
Today is about continuing to reduce the rubbish and starting to prioritise in order to keep the email intake down. Remember your inbox should be your work in progress – not a dump for all the emails you receive.
Step 1 – Spend a few minutes clearing out more emails that are left from the last six months if necessary. For example, newsletters, meeting invites etc.
Step 2 – As each new email arrives ask yourself – ‘Do I really need this email?’ ‘How useful is this to me?’
Step 3 – For all those emails you don’t need – find a way either to get yourself off the sender’s list or automatically move them out of your inbox so they don’t distract your attention away from the really important ones.
- Unsubscribe – just deleting is a waste of time.
- Ask the sender to remove you from their list. There are some handy templates of text on the Brilliant Email website.
- Send them to a folder/deleted using Rules.
Step 4 – Share how you are doing.
- Tweet the number using the #Myinbox is
- LinkedIn – send a message.
- Email me.
- Post them on my Facebook pag.
Don’t forget there will be more tips during the day on Twitter.